It all starts with a plan

This is going to be lengthy I doubt it will be very exciting for anyone to read, but part of the purpose of this blog as for me to chronicle my steps to transitioning into the full time RV life, as well as to list resources and to have a central place to plan. After googling "Transitioning to full-time RVing step by step", this is a compilation of everything that I have found.

Select a "domicile" state:
This is a no-brainier for me. I'm going to choose Florida as it is my home state (Florida born and bred baby!), the fact that I've lived here my whole life, but also because it's a popular state to choose when RVing full time because of the state's taxes. Texas and South Dakota are other popular options.

Choose a mail forwarding service:
The less popular option, that I've been utilizing to some extent for years is to have my mom forward my mail to me. While this is free, secure and convenient for me, I know it's getting old for my mom and that some point I'll need to "grow up" and move out of her mailbox. Also a mail forwarding company gives me a "permanent address" that I can use for legal documents, voting, etc. It also has the added perk of sending my mail to where ever I may be residing (for a fee of course), but it will email me a scan of the envelop with the option of opening it and scanning/faxing it to me if it's time sensitive. The three big companies in Florida are:
Full Time RV Insurance:
 This will take a whole day of research, and luckily I don't have to do it until I am closer to buying or actually purchasing a RV (Thank goodness!). However a few highlights include: I will need full time RV insurance (which may or may not cover the actual expense of the RV), personal effects/property insurance. National General (Good Sam Club), Nationwide (Allied), National Interstate and Progressive were mentioned as some of the bigger more popular insurance companies, but calls and reading of fine print is required before signing a contract.

What about extended warranties:
Considering the reading I've done about how cheaply made RVs are, an extended warranty that covers everything but routine wear and tear may be worth it especially considering I'm not particularly handy. Since I don't know if I'll be buying an RV from a dealership or a private owner I'm simply logging this information here to refer to later. Here is a company to consider.

The big two I never want to deal with:
Health Insurance & Internet. Millenicom may be worth looking into for streaming.

As a final note, RV-Dreams offers a biannual rally which may be of interest. 

Comments

Popular Posts